Dress Code Policy
The student dress code at McPherson IB World School is designed to align with the principles of the IB Learner Profile, promoting a fair and inclusive educational environment for all students.
Our dress code will be enforced consistently, without perpetuating stereotypes or marginalizing any group based on characteristics such as race, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, cultural observance, ability, household income, or body type/size.
We expect that all students will dress appropriately for the school day or school-sponsored events, ensuring that their attire does not compromise their own health or safety, nor create a hostile or intimidating atmosphere for any student.
We approach the implementation of this dress code with an emphasis on its intention rather than its strict letter, meaning that we will not engage in measuring shorts length with a ruler, for instance.
It is important that clothing choices reflect a learning environment that prepares students for higher education, the workplace and life. To this end:
- All students are required to wear clothing made of non-see-through materials, covering from mid-thigh to the top of the chest.
- Strapless tops are not permitted.
- Headwear that has been approved for health, safety, cultural and religious reasons is allowed.
- Pajamas and apparel designed as sleepwear are not permitted.
- Additionally, any t-shirts, pins, or other clothing displaying inappropriate, hateful, or offensive messages or pictures are prohibited.
- On PE days, students should wear clothing and footwear that allow them to participate fully in class.
- Footwear should be suitable for various school activities, such as PE, recess, going up and down stairs, and science labs. It is important to note that thin flip-flops and slippers present a safety hazard and are considered inappropriate for school.
- Certain school-sponsored events may require different attire, and specific guidance will be given for such events.